Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to play inside my school cluster?
No, your son or daughter is permited to particpate in any of our 19 member associations.
Can I play at multiple associations?
No, your son or daughter will be certified on only one association roster and participation on any other GFL roster or any other football or cheerleading program is not permitted.
What are the age groups for football?
The minimum league playing age is 6 years old! The following age classifications are observed:
- 6 Year Olds | Age 6 as of & including 09/01
- 7 Year Olds | Age 7 as of & including 09/01
- 8 Year Olds | Age 8 as of & including 09/01
- 9 Year Olds | Age 9 as of & including 09/01
- 10 Year Olds | Age 10 as of & including 09/01
- 11 Year Olds | Age 11 as of & including 09/01
- 12 Year Olds | Age 11 as of & including 09/01
- 8th Grade | Age 13 as of & including 09/01 through age 15 as of & including 12/31 of the current year with a maximum of 2 years participating at the 8th grade level.
What days will practices be held?
Each association has different procedures on this depending on space availability. Usually, the coach and/or association sets the practice schedule for the team so practice days usually can not be confirmed until the cheerleader is drafted to a team.
Can my daughter cheer for her brother (or for a team not in her current grade level)?
No, we have very strict rules on this subject. Cheerleaders cheer for the grade in which they are currently enrolled during the season.
Can I request a team?
No, cheerleaders are drafted to teams and requests can not be honored.
Do you have to tryout to make the team?
No everyone who registers can participate and will be placed on a team.
Where will the games be held?
It is not uncommon for teams to have minimal home games. You can expect to travel many Saturdays.
Does my child have to participate in Cheer-off?
Individual cheerleader participation is up to the parents.
Does my child need to tumble or stunt?
All ability levels are welcome! No child will be perform any task that they are not comfortable with.